31 March 2008

Car navigation systems aren't for navigating, silly.

Nowadays, nearly all cars are equipped with (add-on) car navigation systems.

I am sure that (at least) 95% of the time these car navigation systems
are switched on they show the car occupants information which they
don't need. I.e. most of the time the car driver isn't lost or looking
for a location.

So why are they on ? Are they so hard to switch off ?

Maybe it's because they're a status symbol; look at me; I know where I am. Wow.

Or maybe ... the car navigation system has become a (very, very basic)
in-car entertainment system ?

Not contented with the sights of the world outside, nor with the radio
/ cd / ipod, the driver and passengers need something else to keep
them happy whilst in the car. God forbid, they have to talk to one
another.

So they look at a colourful, moving map, telling them exactly where
they are and what the surrounding streets, villages, cities, etc are
called. Now that's entertainment !

So .. maybe the Tom Tom's and Garmin's of this world should invest
less in the actual navigation and more in the entertainment side of
things.

Points of interest (the street you are now in has the highest number
of car-jackings in ...), useless statistics (you have been in this
street 322 times), ...

Of course it would have to be, primarily, a navigation system or it
would soon incurr the wrath of the law. But I'm sure navigation can be
brought to you in lots of interesting ways ...

Gegroet. Paul.

Rather happy as my tax return is in and the government owes me lots (I think).

No comments: